NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

September Obs & Discussions

+19
Grselig
dsix85
rb924119
sroc4
Math23x7
aiannone
kalleg
phil155
Bkdude
jmanley32
Frank_Wx
frank 638
billg315
GreyBeard
dkodgis
Dunnzoo
weatherwatchermom
docstox12
amugs
23 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Empty Re: September Obs & Discussions

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:57 pm

amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Looks like this may be nothing more than a rainstorm for us even in NJ. Thats what I was originally expecting anyways, but we shall see, Ray I am still watching for your forecast keep us posted, i saw u said earlier models don't l
ook good for it. Hang in through it.

I only said that about the GFS Ensemble lol the EURO Suite made some marked changes toward my ideas, the GEM Suite held serve and is closed to my ideas, and it has definitely been the most consistent suite and definitely outperformed on Lee. I holding my ground for now, absolutely. And from what I’m seeing on water vapor imagery, it appears* at this early juncture that I might be on the right track. But it’s early in the game yet.

GEM/CMC aka Canadian againg since its super computer upgrade has been on fire nailing storms as of late...Lee, Mondays washout and I will say this. It will RI to a CAT 1. If it traverses to say OCEAN CITy MD and then cuts in DE, CNJ shore and Chesapeake Bay regions get walloped.if it cuts in over NC VA border up to DE gets the extent with SNJ taking a blow. Time will tell.
GEM won't back down peeps showing 3-4.5" of rains area wide. NG.

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 F6lp_z10

What are your thoughts for potential wind impacts up this way (NJ and NYC metro), with the saturation you mentioned it wouldn't take much to cause some uprooting, even 40-50mph winds would be problematic, not so much if we had been dry. Do you have a updated gust map for wxbell, or anyone else? Htas a lot rain, I actually am getting thoughts of Ida rains from the way the CMC looks. ugg, I'm not sure which is worse wind damage or that kind of flooding, id say flooding.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:59 pm

Right now WPC has the entire east coast from carolinas to cape cod at slight risk of excessive rainfall, i think that goes much higher.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:00 pm

rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Looks like this may be nothing more than a rainstorm for us even in NJ. Thats what I was originally expecting anyways, but we shall see, Ray I am still watching for your forecast keep us posted, i saw u said earlier models don't look good for it. Hang in through it.

I only said that about the GFS Ensemble lol the EURO Suite made some marked changes toward my ideas, the GEM Suite held serve and is closed to my ideas, and it has definitely been the most consistent suite and definitely outperformed on Lee. I holding my ground for now, absolutely. And from what I’m seeing on water vapor imagery, it appears* at this early juncture that I might be on the right track. But it’s early in the game yet.
Sounds good, so you thinking we see that cone shift east off shore and a N to NNE movement? rather than that hook left correct?

This is a very crude approximation, but here’s my general idea on a track:

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1811

It may not get that far north, though. As I said, I think it gets to about the latitude of Sandy Hook, then turns out. But it’s close.
It paints a fine picture lol, thanks. Wonder if we do get Ophelia, NHC does have it progged to go fully tropical so we should, probably tonight if not tomorrow morning. I do see some signs of wrapping in and possible beginnings of what could be a decently long RI.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:06 pm

00z hurricane models shifted about 75 miles east from 18z. One more shift like that and they’ll be in line with me. Even 40-50 miles and I’ll be in good shape with respect to the ideas presented earlier. Time will tell, but I don’t like this storm.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

jmanley32 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 pm

amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Looks like this may be nothing more than a rainstorm for us even in NJ. Thats what I was originally expecting anyways, but we shall see, Ray I am still watching for your forecast keep us posted, i saw u said earlier models don't l

GEM/CMC aka Canadian againg since its super computer upgrade has been on fire nailing storms as of late...Lee, Mondays washout and I will say this. It will RI to a CAT 1. If it traverses to say OCEAN CITy MD and then cuts in DE, CNJ shore and Chesapeake Bay regions get walloped.if it cuts in over NC VA border up to DE gets the extent with SNJ taking a blow. Time will tell.

100% mugsy, I’m with ya brother. The bolded part is exactly what I’m worried about, and I think my approximated track forecast shows that.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:20 pm

rb924119 wrote:
amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

100% mugsy, I’m with ya brother. The bolded part is exactly what I’m worried about, and I think my approximated track forecast shows that.

East side of cone and it's massive game on problems for VA Beach to LI. Tropical Storm watches should go up for Caoe May and Atlantic Counties IMO. My freind in Beach Haven West said I thought it was going to be rainy and windy......I said start preparations. He lives right on the bay....ugghhh.

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 F6lo_b10

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:31 pm

amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

East side of cone and it's massive game on problems for VA Beach to LI. Tropical Storm watches should go up for Caoe May and Atlantic Counties IMO. My freind in Beach Haven West said I thought it was going to be rainy and windy......I said start preparations.  He lives right on the bay....ugghhh.

I’m about six miles to his southeast…my gym equipment is getting lifted tomorrow night after work and the vehicles are getting moved up the block to higher ground. The last time I played flood roulette, I lost aha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:37 pm

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 20574710
September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Flood10

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:38 pm

rb924119 wrote:
amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
amugs wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

East side of cone and it's massive game on problems for VA Beach to LI. Tropical Storm watches should go up for Caoe May and Atlantic Counties IMO. My freind in Beach Haven West said I thought it was going to be rainy and windy......I said start preparations.  He lives right on the bay....ugghhh.

I’m about six miles to his southeast…my gym equipment is getting lifted tomorrow night after work and the vehicles are getting moved up the block to higher ground. The last time I played flood roulette, I lost aha

New Gretna??

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:41 pm

Beach Haven, LBI lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:52 pm

It looks to me like we are starting to vertically align the lower-level circulation with the mid-level and upper-level circulations. If that’s the case, I think we will see this thing start to ramp up pretty quickly. Keep in mind, this is drawing off both tropical and non-tropical processes, and when those processes work harmoniously, pressures can drop very quickly.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:56 pm

What i miss? See the cone has a bit more of it offshore and ill have look at those cane models rb. Is it go b confined to the very shores? Or will the impscts reach inland? Im.confused cyz it seems like ur msinly talk bout the icean impacts. What about the urban rain snd potential wind impacts. My area gets major flash floods right down block. And our trees suck. Very short rooted.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:58 pm

Just over a week ago cars were floating on the saw mill parkway before the split to henry hudson or bronx. And power was out likely due to tree down somewhere. And that was a quick 15 min storm...i have pics ill post at some pt.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:02 pm

jmanley32 wrote:What i miss? See the cone has a bit more of it offshore and ill have look at those cane models rb. Is it go b confined to the very shores? Or will the impscts reach inland? Im.confused cyz it seems like ur msinly talk bout the icean impacts. What about the urban rain snd potential wind impacts. My area gets major flash floods right down block. And our trees suck. Very short rooted.

The impacts will be worst at the coast, but there will still be wind and flooding from heavy rainfall inland, just like they usually are.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:14 pm

rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:What i miss? See the cone has a bit more of it offshore and ill have look at those cane models rb. Is it go b confined to the very shores? Or will the impscts reach inland? Im.confused cyz it seems like ur msinly talk bout the icean impacts. What about the urban rain snd potential wind impacts. My area gets major flash floods right down block. And our trees suck. Very short rooted.

The impacts will be worst at the coast, but there will still be wind and flooding from heavy rainfall inland, just like they usually are.
What did you lose in your last flood roulette? I am curious how did you see the 00z cane models? TT only has 18z out, i realized after trying to figure out what east shift you were talking about lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:37 pm

Everything in our garage was under 6” of bay water, and I spent over a month emptying the garage, washing it down, drying it, and then washing everything that I could wash with soapy water, including all of my gym equipment.

That was the February 2021 nor’easter that snowed for three straight days at my parents’ house and they got well over 40” of snow from. So I lost twice - I missed the biggest snow storm of my life and had our garage flood in the process aha I’m still sour about that lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:54 pm

rb924119 wrote:Everything in our garage was under 6” of bay water, and I spent over a month emptying the garage, washing it down, drying it, and then washing everything that I could wash with soapy water, including all of my gym equipment.

That was the February 2021 nor’easter that snowed for three straight days at my parents’ house and they got well over 40” of snow from. So I lost twice - I missed the biggest snow storm of my life and had our garage flood in the process aha I’m still sour about that lol
I am so sorry that suxs mega! Yes best to be safe than sorry. I will have to move my car tomorrow as our bridge across from my building which goes over the saw mill parkway as odd as this sounds floods with a good 2 ft water on top, yes on top. And even worse below.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:06 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:Everything in our garage was under 6” of bay water, and I spent over a month emptying the garage, washing it down, drying it, and then washing everything that I could wash with soapy water, including all of my gym equipment.

I am so sorry that suxs mega! Yes best to be safe than sorry. I will have to move my car tomorrow as our bridge across from my building which goes over the saw mill parkway as odd as this sounds floods with a good 2 ft water on top, yes on top. And even worse below.

It’s not like it was your fault lol but yeah, I learned my lesson for sure haha and dang, man, that’s crazy. I thought bridges were supposed to go over waterways, not through them….? Haha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:11 pm

rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

It’s not like it was your fault lol but yeah, I learned my lesson for sure haha and dang, man, that’s crazy. I thought bridges were supposed to go over waterways, not through them….? Haha
The bridge is way above the parkway, it has two small drains that are always clogged with garbage. When it pours it fills up fast i think it kinda has a bit of a dip in the middle thats not notable unless you see it flooded, let me see if i can find a pic.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:03 am

As the 00z runs come in, the two things I’m noticing are:

1. The Canadian trough diving southeastward is a bit faster than previous runs

2. The ridge across the Mississippi River Valley is notably stronger in successive runs. These are both trends that I expected to see as lead time decreases.

As a result of the above, this suggests to me that the ideas presented for a more easterly (and problematic track) are certainly on the table, and with the adjustments of these features, even though there hasn’t been a marked shift east in the storm track on models like the ICON, NAM suite, or GFS, I expect them to adjust accordingly. The GEM suite, however, has shifted east and now aligns with my forecast track perfectly. Additionally, it also matches my thinking of a stronger storm further north. As mugs has been noting, GEM products have been outperforming all other guidance recently, and this suite has been steadfast in this type of evolution over the last several days. This gives me further confidence that I may be on the right track.

Lastly, it appears that we are starting to get convection around the circulations now, and to my eye, it does look a bit further east than where it was supposed to be. It could be an optical illusion, but it would fit with my thinking that the circulations would end up further east than guidance was suggesting due to the nature of the development process. We’ll see how things evolve over the next 24 hours.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

docstox12 and jmanley32 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:14 am

Great work by rb, Doc, Mugs and J man on this tropical system!
Calm before the storm right now, 46 degrees, fair and calm wind.NWS has a deluge for us up here, not too good as the ground cannot absorb very much and I expect flooding around here.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:21 am

rb924119 wrote:As the 00z runs come in, the two things I’m noticing are:

1. The Canadian trough diving southeastward is a bit faster than previous runs

2. The ridge across the Mississippi River Valley is notably stronger in successive runs. These are both trends that I expected to see as lead time decreases.

As a result of the above, this suggests to me that the ideas presented for a more easterly (and problematic track) are certainly on the table, and with the adjustments of these features, even though there hasn’t been a marked shift east in the storm track on models like the ICON, NAM suite, or GFS, I expect them to adjust accordingly. The GEM suite, however, has shifted east and now aligns with my forecast track perfectly. Additionally, it also matches my thinking of a stronger storm further north. As mugs has been noting, GEM products have been outperforming all other guidance recently, and this suite has been steadfast in this type of evolution over the last several days. This gives me further confidence that I may be on the right track.

Lastly, it appears that we are starting to get convection around the circulations now, and to my eye, it does look a bit further east than where it was supposed to be. It could be an optical illusion, but it would fit with my thinking that the circulations would end up further east than guidance was suggesting due to the nature of the development process. We’ll see how things evolve over the next 24 hours.
wow cmc is bad for all on the board. And ya ray thats your track! of course worst on coast and that rain band that shows up wow. 3 ro near 5 incheas rain areawide. I would expect ts warnings to go up for all on coast and just inland including nyc and suburbs today if this track becomes more likely. There is high surf advisory for LI 7 to 11 ft waves wow. May have take trip down there, prolly not though. I can def see on sattelite the storm looking more like a ts now. May not be far off. May even become opheilia.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:18 am

Definitely appears that we are getting a defined circulation now centered within convection, and to me, it looks significantly further east than where it was supposed to be with a nearly due north movement, though it may be a little west of north. Regardless, it needs to take a hard left turn to get back in alignment with guidance, but I don’t see that happening with how things look at the moment.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:36 am

Approximate location of where I think the center of circulation is superimposed on the NHC track to represent where it should be:

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1812
September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1813

I followed up with my approximate track, and so far, they align well, in my opinion, if you use geographical landmarks for reference.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:42 am

rb924119 wrote:Approximate location of where I think the center of circulation is superimposed on the NHC track to represent where it should be:

I followed up with my approximate track, and so far, they align well, in my opinion, if you use geographical landmarks for reference.

Not sure about the lat but looks like you have Long east of 75W.  Current visible sat suggests enter of LLC is west of 75W by my eye

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=goes16-meso2&product=vis

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Trop10

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:58 am

sroc4 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:Approximate location of where I think the center of circulation is superimposed on the NHC track to represent where it should be:

Not sure about the lat but looks like you have Long east of 75W.  Current visible sat suggests enter of LLC is west of 75W by my eye

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=goes16-meso2&product=vis

I’m looking at infrared imagery, Scott. The reason being is that it’s been my contention that models have been too far west with where the mid-level circulations would coalesce and organize, which has implications on the overall steering. Now that we are seeing the convection organize pretty rapidly, it should also start inducing pressure falls along with it and start working to coalesce the low-level circulation with the mid-levels.

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1815
September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1814

The locations are outlined in green, for reference.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:45 am

rb924119 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

I’m looking at infrared imagery, Scott. The reason being is that it’s been my contention that models have been too far west with where the mid-level circulations would coalesce and organize, which has implications on the overall steering. Now that we are seeing the convection organize pretty rapidly, it should also start inducing pressure falls along with it and start working to coalesce the low-level circulation with the mid-levels.

September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1815
September Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Img_1814

The locations are outlined in green, for reference.
So basically it is going to completely change its location? Then why does the NHC not know or show this? Not to knock your idea but aren't they supposed to be the be all end all expects (lol, they change a million times kinda kidding). I have heard of systems developing a new COC when forming thats why often tracks change once they have developed. You could be onto somrthing will be interesting if this actually happens, will def be a game changer.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum